What is the body temperature for fever in Children?When there is a rise in body temperature over a certin degree, fever occurs. The following temperature indicate a fever:
- 100.4F (38C) or higher at rectal, ear or temporal artery (forehead)
- 100F (37.8C) or higher at oral
- 99F (37.2C) or higher at armpit
What cause a fever?
There are several main reasons of causing fever, and one of the most common one is infection. Beside, there are numbers of other reasons like:
- Heat Stroke
- Blood transfusion
- Disorders in the brain
- Some kinds of cancer
- Autoimmune diseases
Fever is a phenomenon of our body fighting an ilness or infection. Fever trigger our immune system to produce high density of white blood cells to combat the cause of infection.
What to do for a fever?
Though treating fever will not help your children recover from the infection faster, it does help to relieve discomfort associate with the fever. Children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years will get seizures from fever. It is recommended to treat the fever as soon as it is discovered.
Antifever medicine like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be given to children according to the instruction on the medicine. DONOT give children aspirin. It can cause a serious fatal disease called Reye syndrome. Other ways to reduce a fever including:
- Dress appropriate clothing. Too many clothing help to trap heat and not good for body heat dissipation.
- Prepare a lukewarm bath for your children. Remember to keep the bath temperature.
- Drink whatever kind of fluids, water, juices, or even pops, a lot.
- Body temperature is 104F or above at any ages.
- Children are 3 months old or younger and has a fever at 100.4F or higher. Fever in a young baby can be a sign of a dangerous infection.
- Fever lasts for more than 72 hrs (more than 24hrs for age under 2).
- Other symtoms like dehydration, stiff neck, headache, ear pain or seizure happens.
Continuously monitor your child body temperature. How ofter to take the reading depends on the situation. It is recommended to measure the temperature when they seems losing their energy and suddently feel tired. There are several different device for body temperature measurement. Mercury and alochol type glass thermometer is gradually replaced by digital thermometer which give the reading in seconds. When children is having a fever, normally they need extra sleeping. This is more convenient to use non-contact infrared thermometer to take the measurement. The benefit of this kind of thermometer is that the child can be asleep when the temperature is being taken.